About Our Inn Near Colonial Williamsburg
Inn at 605 is a stately, circa 1928 Georgian home built by the construction manager for the Colonial Williamsburg restoration. The same craftsman, who meticulously restored and reconstructed the 18th century town, also used their skills to build the inn in the classic Colonial style.
The hand-crafted architectural details found in the B&B – such as Flemish bond brick, seven-piece crown molding, and brass mortise locks – are also found throughout the Colonial Williamsburg exhibition buildings.
The house was constructed between 1930 and 1934 as a private residence. It was built by Elton Holland, who at the time was employed by the Todd and Brown Construction Company. It was about this time that the Rev’d Goodwin-rector of Bruton Parish Church had his dream of the reconstruction of Williamsburg with Mr. Rockefeller. Todd and Brown began the reconstruction of the buildings for the Williamsburg Restoration. Elton Holland was a friend of Dr.Goodwin and his family, so he began to work for the restoration where he became superintendent of construction for 15 years. He was instrumental in the reconstruction of the Capitol, Governor’s Palace, Raleigh Tavern, Williamsburg Lodge, and the Williamsburg Inn. His picture hangs in the Goodwin Bldg. among those instrumental in the restoration.
When the home was built it was the only structure in the area and was surrounded by fields, a farm, and a few houses towards the railroad tracks. Mr. Holland used the same materials being used in the restoration to build the house…brick, brass locks, door hinges, and paint colors. The crown moldings and wood trim were copied from the 18th century buildings in Williamsburg. The house is probably one of the oldest original houses in 20th century colonial Williamsburg.